If you live alone or have an elderly relative who does, then you may be thinking of getting a medical alarm system, and if so, you cannot go wrong by choosing Medical Guardian, which was chosen as the “top rated” Senior Medical Alert System recommended by Good Housekeeping Magazine and CVS Pharmacy stores.
Medical Guardian has been in business for 30 years, during which time they have been lauded for their service and have been featured in World Report, U.S. News and Reader’s Digest, and have also been on NBC news. They have received many accolades over the years for their commitment and dedication to providing affordable and reliable senior alert systems that are customized to the client’s needs.
When looking for a medical alarm system it is crucial that you ensure that the system that you choose is aligned to certain standards and has all of the necessary checks and balances in place, such as that there is a call center that is monitored 24/5, a quick response time to an emergency call, what the technical and customer service levels are, whether there are any additional charges, discounts, installation costs, and what other additional features are offered.
When it comes to the above, Medical Guardian does very well. It is a simple system, but comes with a 30 year history of providing excellent service to its customers, no installation fees, no extended contracts, a 24/7 monitored service, good response time, free replacement parts, and an easy plug-in self installation. When it comes to additional features, this system does not need to take a back seat to any system on the market, and is in actual fact ahead of many others.
Below are some of the reasons why Medical Guardian scores so well in the comparison to other similar systems offered in the United States.
The Medical Guardian system consists of a base station and an emergency button that can be worn as a pendent or around the wrist. The system is delivered with one button (one has to indicate whether a pendent or wrist model is required when ordering), although more can be purchased, and a base unit.
Installation is a matter of plugging the base-unit into a power outlet and a telephone jack, and pressing the medical alert button to ensure that connection is made to the monitoring center.
The monitoring feature is one of the most important features in any medical alarm system, and Medical Guardian offers a lot when it comes to this. The systems they use are top of the range and are supported by 24/7 UL approved monitoring. The UL approved two-way speaker features the longest available range and has a 72-hour battery backup.
The service is BBB A+ rated and is recommended by hospitals, doctors, and caregivers nationwide. When you first sign up with the service, your personal care representative will make a note of all your important medical history, and make up a list of your preferred doctors and hospitals so that emergency response services can give you the care you require. They will also make up a responders list which will contain all of the contact details of who should be first notified in the event of an emergency, whether is it a friend, a family member or just a neighbor that you need to come and check on you. This system works well as it means that you will not have an ambulance showing up on your doorstep or the police breaking down your door unnecessarily.
All of the call centers are based in the US and staffed with medically trained, 911- certified emergency operators who have access to your medical history so that they can pass on relevant information to the emergency response personnel, which could mean the difference between life and death at an emergency call-out.
The typical response time when an emergency button is pressed is about 15 seconds. If the emergency button is pressed and the operator is unable to speak to the person who pressed it they will automatically send emergency assistance.
Whereas most medical emergency services only respond in the event of a medical emergency, Medical Guardian goes above and beyond when it comes to additional features, including:
- The monitoring center is not only connected to you and local EMS services, but also to your local police and fire services, which means you are never alone in the event of a break-in, fire, or any other emergency.
- The system’s console automatically calls the monitoring center once a month to ensure that the unit is in full working order.
- The monitoring center is automatically notified if the battery in your medical alarm button needs replacing.
- Medical Guardian comes with a lifetime warranty.
- Medical Guardian took note of the advances in technology and the move away from landlines to mobile devices, and now offers a service whereby one can use a mobile phone as opposed to a land line, and this puts this service in a totally different category altogether.
Medical Guardian offers a great checklist on their website so that you can ascertain whether it is necessary for you or a loved one to get a medical alarm system.
One of the major complaints received about call centers is that the operators do not care about the customers and are often rude, crass or just plain apathetic. Another complaint is that staff members do not have enough knowledge or cannot speak English. This is a problem that you will never have with any of the Medical Guardian staff, as they are all extremely friendly, knowledgeable and very helpful and very willing to answer any questions that you may have about the system or service. This means that you need never worry that you or your loved one will receive anything but the best service when it is most needed.
Another nice added feature is the fact that you will be assisted with making up a list of those to be notified in the event of an emergency situation, and the fact that you can choose to have a neighbor check in on you or your loved one or request local police or fire services in the event of fire or break in.
The response time is an approximate 15 seconds, and each customer is provided with their own personal safety consultant who will provide ongoing support and who can quickly tell you what the best set-up for your situation will be, apropos whether a pendant or a wrist alarm button will be better.
- 24-Hour Support – the monitoring center is manned by 911-certified operators 24/7
- Automatic Monthly Tests – the console will automatically perform a monthly test to the monitoring station.
- Competitive Rates – The $29.95 monthly is in line with those offered by other medical alarm companies, and also offer 1 month free when an annual payment is made.
- Flexible Monitoring Agreement – the agreement can be canceled at any time after an initial 3-month service period.
- Full Emergency Coverage – the system can be used in the case of a police or fire emergency, not only a medical emergency.
- No Additional Costs – There are no equipment costs, no activation fees, and replacement parts are also free.
- Portability – the unit is portable, which means that it can be taken with you if you travel anywhere in the U.S. All you need to do is plug it in and notify the monitoring center of your new location so that they can update their records and ensure that the nearest emergency service is contacted in case of an emergency.
- Waterproof – the emergency button is 100% waterproof so can be worn in the bath or shower.
- No Activity Monitoring – this is a feature whereby the user is required to check in with the system by pressing the button every 24 hours. Without this there is no way of knowing whether the user is active and about each day.
- No Pill Reminder Option – not required by all but a nice to have alarm which lets one know it is time to take medication.
- No fall-detection option – this is a very handy option to have for those suffering from diabetes or not too steady on their feet, as they may lose consciousness due to the fall and be able to press the emergency button.
This is a very basic service, which is not a bad thing, as it means that there is a quick response time, which is of paramount importance in an emergency. An added bonus is that Medical Guardian does not only cove medical emergencies, but also break-ins and fire emergencies.
The service is good, the price is very affordable and the operators know their job and treat all customers with respect and dignity. What really puts Medical Guardian at the top of the list for me is the fact that they have kept up with the times and now offer a mobile service, which means that one does not have to have a land line just for this service.