If your child has an illness, disease or a severe allergy the best way for you to protect him or her when they are not with you is by looking into getting him or her medical alert bracelets for kids. This article provides guidelines on just how to go about doing that.
Why Your Child Should Have a Medical Alert Bracelet
There are a number of very good reasons why you should invest in medical alert bracelets for kids for children who suffer from severe allergies or other illnesses:
- When your child is in a situation where he or she cannot speak, the medical alert bracelet will do all of their talking for them so that they don’t have to. This decreases the chance that your child will be given medication or food that they are not allowed to have.
- Emergencies often happen when you are not around your child. Your child’s teacher or day care giver may not be in possession of all of the knowledge surrounding your child’s condition. An easily visible medical alert bracelet will solve this problem. It will increase the chances of your child getting the correct medical attention and it will speed up the process of getting your child the medical attention that they need.
- Medical alert bracelets for kids also have the contact information on it of the child’s parents or primary caregivers. This means that the amount of time that it takes for you to be informed of the situation will also be greatly decreased. The emergency responders will also know just who your child is as well.
The bottom line is that medical alert bracelets for kids save lives. If you are frequently concerned about your child’s well-being when they are not with you, you need to look into getting medical ID bracelets for kids that will be your child’s voice if they are unable to speak for themselves in a medical emergency. Hopefully the bracelet will never need to be used, but it is better to be prepared as much as possible for any medical emergency or eventuality that may or may not arise.
The Best Material for Medical Alert Bracelets for Kids
Generally speaking stainless steel is considered to be a great option when it comes to medical alert jewelry. This is because stainless steel is something that can withstand all of the playing your child is going to do. This is related to the next point, durability. You want something that will last and that will stand up to all of the ill treatment that it is likely to receive at the hands of an average child. Stainless steel medical ID bracelets for kids do not have to be boring. They can come in different colors and designs that will still be appealing to kids. Another important consideration to keep in mind is the fact that children not only play a lot in situations where the band or bracelet may get scratched or damaged, but also that they are in love with water, which means that their arms are likely to get wet fairly often. The answer is NOT to tell them to take it off when they plan to play in water as this will lead to them losing it or forgetting it somewhere where it will no longer be of any use to them at all.
It must be understood that medical alert bracelets for kids need to be worn at all times as it is impossible to guess when a medical emergency will arise. Therefore another important thing to keep in mind when considering the best material for medical alert bracelets for kids is that, if possible, you should get a material that is waterproof. If you do this you are increasing the chances of the bracelet being worn at all times and thereby increasing your child’s chances of receiving adequate and appropriate care should a medical emergency arise unexpectedly when you are not there to speak for your child.
Choosing Something Durable and Easily Noticeable
We have already touched on the idea that medical alert bracelets for kids need to be durable. Children are not likely to think very much about what sort of damage their playing is doing to their bracelet, so it is important to get one that doesn’t need to be worried about. Also make it clear to your children that while they are not required to worry about the bracelet at all times, they still need to be aware that it is something that is important. If the bracelet is durable you will:
- Increase the likelihood that your child will be properly cared for in an emergency medical situation should the need arise.
- Save on the cost of having to replace medical ID bracelets for kids every time they play a little more roughly than usual.
This is a very important aspect of medical alert bracelets for kids that definitely needs to be kept in mind.
Another thing to keep in mind is that the bracelet needs to be noticeable. Luckily emergency responders look first at the neck and wrists for identification at this time, which is why we are recommending that you get medical alert bracelets for kids. If the bracelet is seen immediately it will mean that there will be less of a delay between the time the emergency responders arrive on the scene and your child receiving the adequate medical care that they need in order to get through the situation. Parents who have invested medical alert bracelets for kids say that there mind is put at rest especially because so many health practitioners and other people frequently comment on the bracelets. This shows how visible they are and makes it more likely that they will be noticed by the right people at the right time.
Choosing Something that Can be Worn at all Times
Now we need to discuss the wearable aspect of medical alert bracelets for kids. There are a few things that need to be kept in mind here when it come to medical alerts:
- Your child needs to know that the medical bracelet MUST be worn at all times no matter what. It shouldn’t take them long to get used to this stipulation.
- That’s your child’s side of the deal. Your side of the deal involves providing him or her with something that is in fact wearable. This includes:
- Ensuring that you find a design that your child likes. There are plenty of fun options out there and you will have a lot more success at getting children to wear medical alert bracelets for kids if you make it fun for them. Frame the acquisition of the medical alert bracelet as a gift rather than as something that is medically related while at the same time ensuring that they know what the primary purpose is without scaring them unduly.
- The bracelet needs to be comfortable. This is essential. If your child loves a bracelet that you have found because it looks good, but if you suspect that it will not be comfortable for them in the long run, choose something else.
- The aspect of durability and the advantages of using a waterproof material in the design also play a role here, as does the question of whether or to your child is allergic to the bracelet, which is something that we will go into more detail later.
In summary it is very important that you provide your children with medical alert bracelets for kids that are able to be worn comfortably and at all times. This is an essential part of choosing medical ID bracelets for kids that are effective.
Ensure That Your Child is not Allergic to the Bracelet
If your children need medical alert bracelets for kids because they have an allergy that is very severe, an important thing to consider when choosing medical ID bracelets for kids is whether or not your child is allergic to the bracelet itself. This may seem obvious and easy to look out for, but materials used in making things like medical alert bracelets for kids are often made up many different things, one or two of which your child may be allergic to. Take a latex allergy, for example. If your child is allergic to latex you need to be completely sure that the bracelet you get for him or for her does not contain even the smallest trace of latex as you may end up causing the medical emergency that you are trying to inhibit. If your child needs the bracelet for something else and has no allergies that you are aware of you should still remember that your child may be allergic to something that has not yet manifested itself. So when you buy medical alert bracelets for kids you should give it a trial period in your own mind where you carefully monitor your child for any bad symptoms that may have arisen as a result of the materials in the bracelet. Of course you should have a doctor’s opinion before you immediately get rid of the bracelet and try something else as it could just be a coincidence. There are materials out there that cannot cause allergies, so if you are at all concerned look into those first. Alternatively you could have your child tested for allergies from all of the common materials used in medical alert bracelets for kids in order to know ahead of time what you can and cannot buy for your particular child.
Knowing What to Include on Medical ID Bracelets for Kids
The information that is carved or written into medical alert bracelets for kids is very important as this is obviously what tells the emergency responders what they can and can’t’ give your child in terms of treatment options and medication. The usual things to include on most medical ID bracelets for kids are the following:
- The contact details of the child and the child’s parents.
- The name of the child.
- The type of allergy or illness that the child has.
- The medication that the child is on.
The first is helpful in finding the parents or guardians of the child as quickly as possible so that they can be informed of the situation and provide any information that may come in handy. The second is so that the emergency services will be able to build a better rapport with the child himself or herself which may speed up the chances of getting to the bottom of what happened to them. The type of allergy or illness is of course essential as it may either be the cause of the medical emergency or may be something that is very important to remember when it comes to administering medication as children with certain allergies and illnesses are not able to take certain medications safely. This is also related to the last point. If the child is already on medication of some kind any subsequent medication could interfere with that and create adverse reactions. The medication they are on may also help a medical professional pinpoint the cause of their medical emergency; for example if a diabetic child has passed out a medical responder may be able to identify the problem as being a case of the child not having taken his or her medication. Not taking medication can also come with a range of symptoms so it helps the medical responders to know what medication the child should be on.
Now that you have all of the knowledge about how to go choosing medical alert bracelets for kids you should have no trouble at all finding the perfect bracelet for your little darling. There are a lot of options out there, and parents who worry that their child will not take to the bracelet need to remember that there are plenty of fun choices to choose from. Most children love their medical ID bracelets for kids so it really shouldn’t be a problem at all. Just make sure that you get the best bracelet possible.