Most people, as they age, want to remain as independent as they can and keep on doing the things they have always loved doing, like walking and exercising. Sometimes children worry about their parents living on their own when they are over 80, but with the range of brilliant medical alert systems available to elderly folk, children can rest assured their parents, should they fall and injure themselves, will be able to summon help immediately, as opposed to lying somewhere injured for hours or maybe even a day or two. Medical alert systems have a transmitter which is worn by the user.
If an elderly person falls and is unable to get up, by pushing the panic button on the pendant a box is activated in the house which connects the caller to the monitoring station. If the caller can’t be understood, the monitoring station will follow their emergency call protocol.
LifeCall has been a Better Business Bureau – BBB – Accredited Business since January 2012. This is because Lifecall meets BBB accreditation standards. Factors that increased Lifecall’s rating include the fact that they have been in business for a long time, there have been no complaints about them filed with BBB and BBB also has sufficient background information on the business.
Elderly Safety at Home
Life Call provides products which simply enable independent living and a better quality of life for people who are chronically ill, disabled, frail and elderly. The company was established in 1987 with Mr Michael Seidl as the President. If you have any queries regarding the products, queries can be directed to the attention of Mr. Seidl. In 1989 they started running commercials about their products in which an elderly woman falls to the bathroom floor, and unable to get up, she makes use of her medical alert pendant, telling the trained operators on the other side “I’ve fallen, and I can’t get up!”, after which the dispatcher informs her that help is immediately on its way. The mission of the advertisement is to highlight the danger of an elderly person falling, there is no-one at home to help, and how a medical alert system can actually save a life.
Their MediPendant is a monitored medical alert device that allows you to speak and listen directly through the pendant. The user speaks directly through the pendant to communicate with the operator at a monitored call center. The beauty of it is that there is no need to be near the base station; user can be up to 600+ feet from the base station, which is an amazing range when you compare it to other medical alarm systems. The two-way voice speaker phone technology has superior battery life. The pendant has approximately 6+ hours of talk time and up to 1 year of standby time. It is also very simple to install; all you do is plug in the power cord and phone jack.
Tried and Tested Products that Enhance the Lives of Many
Life Call has certified operators monitoring thousands of individuals through their monitoring centers across the United States and Canada. They are committed to providing products and services that will increase security and peace of mind. With more than 40 years of experience in the life safety and security industry, they have designed their MediPendant to enhance the lives of their many customers. GE Security, which is a renowned name in security and safety, manufactures the LifeCall medical alert system and accessories.
If you are looking for a quality medical alert system to protect someone, it will be in your best interests to research the different products. There are some that are amazingly useful while others will not provide the complete assurance you need. You want a system with technology that an old person will be comfortable with.
LifeCall for instance is a wireless personal medical alarm which is made up of a built-in two-way voice communicator unit and a personal help button. LifeCall personal alarms give customers access to help at the press of a button, 24 hours a day right through the year. Their products and services exceed all industry regulations.
The LifeCall medical alarm communicator unit is plugged into the A/C outlet. Installing the LifeCall medical alarm system simply requires plugging in an answering machine into your phone. Instructions are always sent with the system to help you install the system yourself. Of course, if you prefer in-home installation, you can contact their customer services at 1 800 661-5433.
- Step 1: place the LifeCall medical alert system near a power outlet. Plug the AC adapter into the power outlet.
- Step 2: unplug your phone from the wall jack and plug end of phone line into the back of the main LifeCall communicator unit into the input marked ‘phone’. Plug the larger end into the input on the back of the main LifeCall communicator unit marked ‘line’ and plug the smaller end into the wall jack. Switch on.
- Step 3: call 1 800 661-5433 to activate your LifeCall medical alert system, and they will explain the activation procedure.
- 2-way voice communicator unit
- A/C Power cord, and phone cord
- A HELP button for manual activation and a CANCEL button is also provided which cancels alarms or resets the system. During an alarm, the console sounds a distinct tone to identify the type of alarm. Anyone can accidently press the alarm by mistake, but these can be easily canceled by pushing the console’s green cancel/reset button.
- Waterproof personal help button
- Can be worn on the wrist, around the neck or on a belt
- A start guide, user manual, emergency data card, and decals are included
- Works within a range of 500 feet or 150m
- In the event of a power outage, it has a 24-hour backup battery
- Has a battery life of approximately 5 years – batteries can be purchased at any local pharmacy or hardware store – continuous protection is ensured by a 5 day back-up battery
- Automatically notifies you if the batteries in your medical alert call button needs replacing
- Lifetime 100% warranty
- They offer two service plans with three payment options for every budget. They offer a standard and a preferred plan. With the Preferred Plan the MediPendant will automatically send a test signal to the computers at the monitoring center every day to let them know that your equipment is still working perfectly well. There is also no limit to the number of contacts in your customized call list, whereas with the standard plan you can have three contacts.
- LifeCall offers two choices when ordering LifeCall medical alert services: a monthly rental or an affordable purchase option. With the purchase option, the equipment is owned by the customer. Includes a 2-year warranty on parts and service.
- LifeCall Rental Option: $39.95 a month. Purchase option is $19.95/ month + $279 up front:
- 2-way voice communicator LifeCall unit
- Personal help button accessory kit
- 1 Wireless Personal Help Button
- 1 phone cord and 1 A/C adapter
- Emergency data card
- Security window decals
- User manual
- Available for customers 24/7 a week. They actually have standard standard customer services hours, but their emergency after-hours customer service and technical support is available 24/7.
- If you move, LifeCall can be taken along with with. Contact LifeCall Customer Service at 1 800 661-5433 within 30 days prior to moving – they will arrange to setup your system in your new home.
- If you no longer need the medical alert system anymore, you can contact their customer services and they will fetch the LifeCall system and disconnect monitoring.
- If you accidentally press the Personal Help button, you can press the ‘reset’ button on the unit which will cancel the signal being sent to the emergency Monitoring Centre. In any case the operators won’t call the emergency authorities until they have established whether the call is for real or whether it was pressed accidentally.
- You can call LifeCall at 1 800 661-5433 anytime and advise them if you have any problems with your system. They try an fix it remotely or make other arrangements.
- The Emergency Monitoring Center encourages its customers to send a monthly test signal for added protection. If you call their customer services, they guide you through the test.
- No long-term commitment is required, but they required you sign a Monitoring Agreement. A non-refundable deposit is required before a LifeCall system is delivered to you. This deposit is equal to three months monitoring; thereafter the LifeCall service is month-to-month.
- You can cancel your Agreement with 30 days notice with no penalty
- When ordering LifeCall you can order online, by phone at 1800 6615433
If technical issues cannot be resolved over the phone, arrangements will be made to have a technician look at your system. Life Call has dealers located all over the country to help.