If you or your child has diabetes then you are well aware of what a delicate situation you are in. There are so many situations that could become medical emergencies at the drop of a hat, and it is therefore important that all medical health care professionals who are involved are aware of you or your child’s diabetic condition.
Click Here to See A Popular Diabetic Medical Bracelet on Amazon.
Consequently there are many diabetes medical alert bracelets that have been designed in order to appeal to both adults and children and that include all of the information necessary for appropriate medical care from a paramedic or other emergency response team.
Reasons Why Diabetes Medical Alert Bracelets Are So Important
Diabetics sometimes have a reputation for not taking care of themselves as well as they should. Although this is not true for a lot of diabetics, there are nevertheless many diabetics out there that do not where medical alert jewelry. This is a very dangerous thing to do as there are a number of things that could go wrong in an emergency medical situation if the health care professionals involved are not aware of your condition. Hence it is essential that you get yourself a diabetic medical alert bracelet as soon as possible to avoid being one of the unlucky ones.
Three Situations In Which You May Need A Diabetic Medical Alert Bracelet
The following are the three most common situations in which having a diabetic medical alert bracelet has the potential to save your life. In many cases these situations arise unexpectedly and cannot be controlled for.
Your Blood Sugar Drops
As a diabetic you are in danger of experiencing a drop in your blood sugar level at any time and as a result it is in your best interests to wear diabetes medical alert bracelets in order to account for this problem. This is because when your blood sugar drops it could make you pass out. At the very least it will make you confused and perhaps inhibit your ability to communicate about your diabetes.
Your Blood Sugar Skyrockets
At the other end of the scale your blood sugar may hit the roof. This can also make you confused. Without a diabetic medical alert bracelet the paramedics or other emergency response teams that respond to your medical emergency may not know that you have diabetes. If you are unable to communicate with them about your illness because you are confused you may be given medication or another form of treatment that diabetics should not receive. As a result you want to be wearing one of the diabetes medical alert bracelets that are available to account for problems such as this one.
You Are In An Accident
There are a number of accidents that could happen that may leave you unconscious. If this happens you will not be able to tell the paramedics that you are a diabetic and that they should treat you with that in mind. If you are wearing a diabetic medical alert bracelet you will not need to be able to communicate with them. They will be able to see what illness you have and there will be a lessened chance of them treating you with something that may be harmful to you as a diabetic. This is one of the strongest arguments in favor of wearing diabetes medical alert bracelets.
Important Reasons To Wear Diabetes Medical Alert Bracelets
The following is a list of ways in which diabetes medical alert bracelets can save your life and ensure your continuing good health. These are some of the best reasons that we can think for why you need to wear the appropriate identification if you are a diabetic. It is important that you do not ignore the information that is outlined below.
- As mentioned above you may not be able to speak coherently for yourself or you may be unable to speak at all. In these situations it is a good idea to have a diabetic medical alert bracelet that lets those attending to you know what your ailment is. As a diabetic you should be aware of the medications and so on that you cannot take safely. However you may not be able to communicate this yourself in which case you should wear the appropriate identification.
- If you don’t wear a diabetic medical alert bracelet then you may be in danger of being misdiagnosed in cases where you are too confused to speak for yourself. As you know there are many ailments that have very similar symptoms so your diabetes could easily be misdiagnosed as something else. However if you wear a diabetic medical alert bracelet with all of the relevant information on it about your condition you will reduce the chances of being treated in a way that is not safe for someone in your condition. It is basically a very important safety measure.
- Medical errors do occur. This is something that we cannot void or sweep under the carpet. A lot of these errors tend to be made when a patient arrives or leaves the hospital. Because conditions can manifest in such similar ways you should do everything in your power to make sure that these errors are minimized. Diabetes medical alert bracelets do a lot to reduce these errors as all of the information about the condition you have can be contained on one item of jewelry. Do not compromise on your safety by neglecting to wear your bracelet.
- Some people have this idea that it makes very little difference whether or not they wear their diabetic medical alert bracelet because they seem to think that emergency responders do not pay attention to small details such as that. This is, of course, simply not true. The vast majority of medical responders will check for a medical alert bracelet before administering treatment and most of these responders will check immediately on arrival at the scene. Your diabetic medical alert bracelet will not be missed, and this is why it is important that you remember to wear it at all times.
- Having a diabetic medical alert bracelet can reduce the number of times you are rushed to the hospital as in many cases a problem can be solved without hospitalization. Apart from preventing these unnecessary hospital visits you will also be in a position to stop small medical emergencies becoming big medical emergencies. You basically want everyone around you to be informed about your condition so that if you run into an emergency situation which you cannot account for you will be taken care of in a manner that befits your condition. This is the main and overall reason to wear a diabetic medical alert bracelet.
Tips For Your Diabetic Medical Alert Bracelet
There are a number of characteristics that make a good diabetic medical alert bracelet and you should keep these in mind when selecting your bracelet.
Firstly your diabetic medical alert bracelet should be easily recognizable. This is to prevent any confusion at the scene of the medical emergency that you are experiencing. A medical alert bracelet that is too ornate may be confused for normal jewelry and ignored. It should also be visible. This is why diabetes medical alert bracelets are usually one of the best choices you can make when choosing jewelry of this kind.
It is suggested that you carry with you an ID card as well as wearing your diabetic medical alert bracelet.
The ID card should include the following information:
- Your name
- Your phone number
- The number of your doctor
- The diabetes medications and doses you’re taking
The diabetic medical alert bracelet should include the following information:
- It should say that you have diabetes
- If you take insulin be sure to include that on your diabetes medical alert bracelet
- If you have an insulin pump make sure that you include that on the bracelet as well
It is very important that you carry both of these items of identification and information with you at all times as it increases your chances noticeably of surviving a medical emergency situation. It does not require any additional effort to have an ID card with you so don’t compromise on your health by neglecting to carry one.
Types Of Diabetic Medical Alert Bracelets
There are a number of different options for people looking for diabetes medical alert bracelets for themselves or for their children. Some of the main options are listed below:
- Classic Bracelet
- Premier Bracelet
- Charm Bracelet
- Expansion Wristband
In some cases you may struggle to get your children to wear a medical alert bracelet. Girls may go for it if it looks like jewelery. For boys there are medical alert watches, although you need to be sure that these are visible and obvious to the paramedics as medical alert mechanisms and not just a way of telling the time.
There is something for everyone when it comes to these medical alert bracelets. With a bit of searching you will find something that you like and that will suit the style of clothing that you like to wear. Even if you don’t find something it is of the utmost importance that you wear a medical alert bracelet anyway in order to protect yourself and your health.
Three Places To Find Free Diabetes Medical Alert Bracelets
What a lot of people don’t know is that it is possible to get hold of diabetes medical alert bracelets for free. After all it is a medical necessity. You just need to know where to go and who to ask in order to get your hands on a free diabetic medical alert bracelet.
There are three places where you can possibly get your hands on medical alert bracelets for free:
- Your hospital: The first place that you should try to inquire at about free diabetes medical alert bracelets is your hospital. Simply phone up the hospital that you go to as well as other hospitals in your area and ask them whether or not they offer a free diabetic medical alert bracelet service. If they do ask where and when you can pick one up for you or for your children. Your doctor may also be a good person to ask about this.
- Diabetes Research and Wellness Foundation: Another place that you can turn to when looking for free diabetic is the Diabetes Research and Wellness Foundation. As the name suggests this is a foundation concerned with the well being of those people in our society who suffer from diabetes. If you would like to get hold of them you can email them at email@example.com or call them at (800) 941-4635. Once you have contacted them you will discover that it is in fact a quick and easy process to get your hands on a free diabetic medical alert bracelet through this foundation.
- MedicAlert: If you have children who are younger than the age of fourteen but who are older than four you should be able to get free diabetes medical alert bracelets for them. The best way to do this is to contact MedicAlert, a company offering free diabetic medical alert bracelets to children of a certain age. There are two main ways to get hold of MedicAlert, namely through their website: http://www.medicalert.org/ or by phone when you call them at (800) 432-5378. The health of your child is not something you want to compromise on, so contact MedicAlert today.
Now that all of the information has been presented to you I am sure that you want to get your diabetic medical alert bracelet today. As you can see you do not need to pay anything for such a bracelet if you don’t want to, and it comes with a wide range of medical advantages that may even save your life in a medical emergency. It cannot be stressed enough how important your health is. It is something that you simply cannot afford to compromise on. Wearing a diabetic medical alert bracelet is just one way in which you can guarantee your continued survival.